Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Last week, I made a comment about how open ceilings may create loud noises and how open classrooms may create limitations for the caregivers. I didn’t mean to say these comments because I am limiting the children’s capability and mistrusting the children. I am saying just from personal experience that high ceilings create for louder environments. It happens everywhere, even at restaurants. One of the schools had high ceilings and hard floors and without material that absorbs the sound it could get loud when a bunch of people or children are talking. I was just wondering if it does get loud and how can you add things into the environment that would absorb some of the sound. I believe we do have trust in the children but supervision of children at this age is a big deal. A school that is one big class has to run into some supervision problems. I don’t think it’s a matter of mistrusting children or limiting their capabilities at all.

This weeks reading was about assessment. I believe assessment is such a huge part for a child and so beneficial but it isn’t done enough. Assessment can help improve a child’s development individually and on a broader scale, assessment can create a classroom curriculum. I feel that the whole assessment process helps teacher’s build a relationship with each child individually. Every time I assess a particular child, I feel as if I know that child a little bit more personally. It creates an environment where a teacher sit backs and withdraws from the situation and just observes the child in its most natural habitat. The problem with assessment is that it’s very time consuming. For teachers, especially if they are the only teacher in the classroom can find it a burden. It always seems as if the moment a teacher starts assessing a child, something that needs their attention happens.

I enjoyed reading from the Te Whāriki website about how the children have a part of their own assessment. I have read from the benefits of allowing children to have a say in their own assessments. I know that in some public schools, the children conduct the second family teacher conference. I always wanted the preschool aged children to be a part of their own assessment. Every year, we make portfolios for each child; in this portfolio we include pictures of their development in each developmental area. We also include some work samples of their writing, and cutting and art. Well I finally got a computer in my classroom, where I can work on the portfolios. This helped out a lot because I would create their portfolio and have each child tell me what they were doing in the pictures. This way I could have the child create its own caption and it was a way that I could document their language development as well. The children love doing it and it makes the whole process easier on the teacher.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah,
    I am still intrigued by our viewpoints (shared by many of us) where supervision becomes central to how we consider environment. Recently I have been reading theory about power and supervision with the idea of the history of field and its discourse is how we create power dynamics. I wonder how supervision and the discourse of early childhood education has become the norm of how we think about much of what we do as teachers and administrators. This has definitely got me thinking!!!

    Children's voices in conferences -- such a powerful idea. How might an administrator support the inclusion of children? Does there need to be a deeper connection between school and family?

    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah:
    I agree with you on high ceilings. How do we absorb all the noise that ceilings create? With our site, we have one big open room that houses four classrooms, so go figure the noise level there! I think it is just as bad as having high ceilings! It is very distracting but we've gotten used to the noise level. The children seem to chime in on what the other classes are doing and get easily distracted, so any suggestions for us as well?
    I think having the children be a part of their portfolios are awesome! I wish I could do that, but working with three year olds, well, I think I'd be taking way too much time for one child! Maybe if I went back to teaching four and five year olds, this would be a great way to showcase their work!
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you about how wanting there to be a more controllable environment and a less noisy one also can be good without limiting children’s capabilities or mistrusting them. Children are children so if you can reduce some of the hectic-ness that often happens in classrooms it can be a very good thing. Children can learn to behave well in an open environment and an environment with less space.
    I also believe in the positive outcomes of having a child assessed. It can be a very positive experience for both you and the child. Assessments do not always have to be so unfriendly and stressful.

    ReplyDelete