Tuesday, November 3, 2009

I checked out all of the centers that were listed on that page. I wanted to see a school that was limited in space and how they made the best of what they had, but none of those really had that problem. My main reaction to the outside view of those centers was “Thats an early childhood center!” The sizes of those centers are amazing, and I cant even imagine something that big opening up in Hawaii. I also wanted to see what all of their playgrounds looked like because I believe the outside environment is just as important than their inside environment. The following are the three centers that had some type of attribute that I really enjoyed and stuck out above the rest of the centers.

http://www.designshare.com/index.php/projects/mothers-club-family-learning-center

This is the first school I virtually toured. This center is the Mother’s club family learning Center in Pasadena, California. Their mission is to help prepare families living in isolation and poverty to succeed in school and in life through two-generation learning. The attribute that I thought was amazing was the interior view of the classrooms. Like many Mainland schools, the whole center is indoors and all the hallways and classrooms are under one roof. They made the pathway in the hallway, two-toned to present a trail. I liked the idea of using glass walls; it gives the illusion of the room being open and spacious while keeping it enclosed and separate from the rest of the center. It gives each classroom the privacy but doesn’t feel like your surrounded by walls. I also saw in another classroom, the see through garage door. I thought that was a neat idea, to have in the classroom and to open it on warm days. It also provides a lot of natural light and it is see through so the children can check the weather and outside.

http://www.designshare.com/index.php/projects/the-childrens-school

The children’s school, in Stamford Connecticut is a modified one-room school. It’s a beautiful site and I really enjoyed reading the narrative on how it’s a “green” school. It was clever how they thought about harvesting the sunlight and building a schedule based on the sunlight, and how to ventilate the school. I also like the idea of harvesting the rain to use for water play and other activities. I didn’t see an actually playground, but I enjoyed reading that they use the different trees in their backyard and science garden to connect nature to food. The question that popped into my mind when I actually saw the inside of the classroom was the noise level. Since it’s open and all the children are in the center at once, the high ceilings must provide for a loud environment. I don’t know much about Montessori schools but how do the staff prevent the children from running in the classroom with that much open space. In every site, there are moments when it feels like there is not enough staff to watch everything that is going on in a center. I wonder if one open room like that school solves that problem or just makes it worse.

http://www.designshare.com/index.php/projects/auroville-kindergarten/team

This was my favorite school out of all of the schools. I really enjoyed the natural openness of the center. Each separate hut seems to have a flow between them and it creates a natural blend between nature and structural school. I felt like all the other centers had a defined inside and outside area, which make it feel so ridged. I also enjoyed their playground, it wasn’t much but I really like the natural feel of the playground. We always talk about how fancy toys don’t do much for children at this age; they rather play with the box. It goes the same with playgrounds, why invest in the fancy playground equipment when they can benefit the same from a more natural form of gross motor activities.

6 comments:

  1. I too was impressed with the schools that I looked at. The school that I wrote about was the Mother’s Club too. I really like how the program was so dedicated to helping families who were in need. I also really liked how it not only teaches the children but also offers some learning experiences for the mothers as well. It’s great that the mothers get to spend the day with their child.
    You are so right about the fancy toys. Just about every child will have more fun with a cardboard box then they will with most any toys. Simple toys often offer the child more of an opportunity to use their imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The schools we viewed were amazing. I wrote about the one in Japan, however a lot of people seemed to like the one in Calif. I wonder who funded that school? It's also a "green-school". Punahou built a new middle school building, they also built it "green". It cost more that way. I agree with the with you about the playgrounds, simple toys ofter create more opportunity to be creative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sarah,
    On several of the blogs this week, people noticed large open spaces and discussed noise and children's movements. I am intrigued by these discussions as I wonder if it relates to our own limitations as early childhood educators. Have we become so limited in what is correct (or correct by others' parameters), we push aside other possibilities? Does it relate to our mistrust of children?

    This brings out another question -- in our observations are we given a new lens to consider our own spaces and practices?

    How can this observations become tools for rethinking our own spaces and practices? What is the administrator's role in this reflective practice?

    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sarah,

    Most of the schools presented from the website were amazing and breath-taking. I makes me want to work in a center where it provided large open space, connection with the nature, mamy windows, and natural lights. As I was looking at the different centers, one question that emerged was, "Do we have centers like that in Hawaii?"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sarah:
    Although I love looking at these schools, they are truly beautiful, I don't know if I really want to work in one of these large open spaces. I think large open spaces can be a plus or even a problem. It all depends on the type of children we get. As the years go by, each year I see more children having "needs" that need tending to. So to me, large open spaces could be a problem. Also, no matter what type of toys we put out and spend money on it, children will be fascinated with it for a very short period as compared to giving them recycled materials! Go figure, isn't life strange?
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also believe that the schools are beautiful and have wonderful big open spaces, which could be a good thing or a not so good thing. It depends on the way the teachers set up the classrooms. I don't see Kauai ever having a huge classroom of that size. I would love to have where I work doubled - oh what I could do! I did like being able to visit the different sites and seeing how other classrooms are set up.

    ReplyDelete