Wednesday, October 14, 2009

To answer some of the questions brought up last week, I think the biggest factor that preschools are in competition over are families. We need families because basically that’s our schools revenue. I don’t think that collaboration would hurt our business because I believe every preschool is different and there are many components to each preschool that sets it apart from the next school. Families have a checklist when it comes to sending their child to school, they could be looking for religion, location, prices and curriculum. If the schools in the community collaborate it won’t matter much because families are going to go where they want to go.

Chapter 9 discusses program curriculum. It details all the different types of curriculum and how important class size and ratio are to a program. When touring our school, a lot of families ask what are the ratios in each of the classrooms. Ratios are important but I also believe class size is equally if not more important. If you think about it if there ratio is 1:8 for 3 year olds but you have 4 staff members and 32 3 year olds that classroom, no matter the size, would be hectic. What we like to do at our center is split up the classes. We are blessed to have a covered lanai and materials that we can use outside on that lanai so we can have half of the class inside the classroom and the other half outside of the classroom. This way each staff will have the max 10 children in the class or on the lanai (for the 4 year old room). I have enjoyed the small group size and I feel that I can focus my attention on each student in my class.

The book also talked about culture as part of the curriculum. “Besides developing program philosophy influenced by the culture of the local community, all children need multicultural/anti bias education” (Decker et al., 2005). It is important to have culture represented throughout the curriculum and I know NAEYC pushes this point a lot! My center is having a hard time with this. We have been reflecting on it especially after we went to some great cultural workshops at the HAEYC conference. I think the issue we are running into is that mostly everyone on our staff is local and have been raised here. It is amazing that Hawaii has become so diverse with many different cultures but at the same time we aren’t fully knowledgeable in any particular culture. For example, I am Filipino and Lithuanian but I don’t know anything about the Philippines, I don’t even know what dialect my family spoke. I’m fluent in the local culture, which is just bits and pieces of other cultures, but it’s so integrated that I don’t know where one cultures ends and the other begins.

Our additional reading discussed the Te Whāriki, which is the first bicultural curriculum developed in New Zealand. It contains curriculum specifically for Māori immersion services in early childhood education and establishes, throughout the document as a whole, the bicultural nature of curriculum for all early childhood services (website). This reminded me of the Hawaiian emergent preschools we have here. I think it’s a great idea and I truly believe that it’s everyone’s responsibility to preserve the Hawaiian language and culture. The dichotomy in these programs is finding teachers who are knowledgeable in ECE and teachers who are knowledgeable in the culture. Many times the program will take the teacher who is knowledgeable in the culture because that is harder to find, but they aren’t aware of developmentally appropriate practices. How can we find a happy medium?

4 comments:

  1. Aloha Sarah,
    I agree with you when you say that preschools are in competition with each other over families.In order for preschools to survive we do need families, we need our schools and classrooms to have full enrollments.
    As I read the different blogs and I reflect on what I want to write about in my blogs, I realize that yes, we do need to fill the spaces in our classrooms, but we still need to make the children be our first and foremost priority.
    I have found many preschools that are excellent preschools and yes, they each have similarities and differences that make the schools unique in each own's way. Many times families will choose a school because of "word of mouth" and/or reputation. I am glad to have read in your blog that some families have checklists when choosing a preschool. This means that they know what they are looking for and did do their "homework" when it comes to their child's education.
    I am the Lead Teacher at Kauai Community College Lab School and we are fortunate to have a good sized classroom and a wide open fenced in space outdoors. We have also been separating our class into two groups. We serve 2.8 - 5 year old children. We have found this year that the younger children are having a harder time adjusting and following the routine of the school. We randomly choose children each day during indoor and outdoor time, so all the children still get a chance to interact with each other during the week. This has made a big difference in our school. The children are less stressed, there are less noise and distractions and more one to one time. The teachers have also noticed a difference in their stress levels.
    Val

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah:
    I agree with you, incoporating culture into your curriculum is very difficult. With me, I had to really learn how to do this, being with such diverse cultures here. I was raised here and local but I'm just a Japanese descent. So I know Japanese background and can speak and undertand some of it. I try to incorporate a lot of various cultural activities for the week. It's mind boggling! My biggest hump was how to do this with 2 and 3 year olds! How would they retain and understand all of this? The answer, introduce them to the various clothing and leave it in the home center. Also, have children share pictures of themselves in traditions they do and post them on the walls with labels of their ethnicity. Also, have families share their cultural experiences, families are the best resources! We have had various families bring in unusual instruments, clothing and the best is FOOD! I also do tasting segments to introduce the children to foods around the world. Lots of things to do, just try thinking out of the box, it was very difficult for me, but it will get easier :)
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like how you mention that even if you had the correct ratio of 4 staff members to 32 3 year olds it would be very hectic. A lot of children in any one area is a lot of children no matter how many adults you had. There will be things that go on that 8 eyes are not always going to catch. Having a lot of space is great and a lot of outdoor space is a must to help them release all of the energy that they do have that we do not always have half of. When thinking of the type of classroom or day care setting that I would like to work in, in the future that is one of my major concerns. I would love to work in a setting where there is a smaller group so that each child can receive more one on one attention rather than only having divided attention all the time. It is harder to get to know each child when there are so many others running around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sarah,
    The bi-cultural aspects of the New Zealand curriculum present a way to think about curriculum different from the United States. You make a reference to immersion schools but what I wonder is if the ideas from Te Whariki could be applied beyond immersion schools. Should all early childhood centers embrace the communities of Hawaii and create cultural curriculums reflecting the many cultures part of each school?

    What might be the responsibilities of an administrator in encouraging the collaboration between children, families, and communities in order to honor and engage with all cultures of the community and Hawaii? Further, what might honoring and engaging look like? How does it move beyond superficial ideas of multiculturalism and reflect the deepness of the Te Whariki curriculum?

    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete