Tuesday, October 20, 2009

This week’s chapter discusses the important roles families play in a center. As a teacher and administrative point of view, I believe our school is lucky that we don’t provide transportation because we can build a relationship with the children and their families. Someone will always have to pick up and drop off that child, so during those times we can communicate and build relationships with the families. Families are one of the biggest parts of a center especially since the success of a school depends heavily on the partnership with families. If families don’t feel valued, they won’t stay at that center long. It’s funny how this chapter has coincided with our family conferences and we just handed out our family surveys. We provide a lot of various activities and opportunities for family involvement in our center. We have become creative with ways to get family interaction because all families are different. The biggest problem we have faced was actually getting families into the classroom. It was hard especially since most of our families work in town and when it’s time to pick up their child, they don’t want to spend more time then they have to, which is understandable since most times they just battled traffic and they just want to be home already. Some creative ways we have explored family involvement is by having families take home projects to work with their child and have the child share it the next day at school. This has also worked out because it eases the transition between home and school, and families will know what activities they are learning at school.

The book had a paragraph about teachers that are not prepared to work with families. I can relate to this when I was a first year teacher. It wasn’t as if I wasn’t prepared, I just didn’t feel comfortable. All through college, I learned the importance of families to a program and how important communication is, but I remember always being nervous. I think in the back of my mind, I didn’t want to upset the family or have families think I was telling them what to do, or how to raise their child. The more I forced myself to talk to families, the more familiar I got with the situation and how most families like to hear feedback about their child from the teachers. Now my goal as a director is to have a great relationship with each family. I know it starts with saying hello to everyone that walks in our gate. The previous director and my mentor told me that families come first and you are never too busy to say hi or bye to each person. I have noticed how appreciated people felt with the simple gesture.

The online article talks about grandparents raising grandchildren. This is happening more and more often. It is a tough situation for the grandparents and a constant struggle. It makes some good points on how tough it is for a grandparent especially those who are in what they mentioned “sandwich generation” in which they are taking care of an older generation and younger generation. When talking to grandparents I know one concern that they have about the change. Raising a child is always changing from new technology to education and knowledge. One grandparent had shared their concern that they just can’t keep up with it and how different it is to raise a child now than when she was raising her own child. I do like the suggestions that they provide in the article about sharing information with Grandparents. I think the most important thing is to make sure that the grandparents feel supported!

5 comments:

  1. Agreed that our families and the relationship unto them, are very important to our centers. I understand what your saying about families coming from town to pick up their children and they are tired. Wahiawa is a "bedroom" community; most people do not work here they work in town and sleep here. It creates a different dimension when trying to have interaction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah,
    You take an interesting perspective on the transportation issue. Finding a way to build relationships between families and teachers sometimes takes creativity and considering alternative viewpoints of everyday activities.

    What policies could an administrator enact in order to build thoughtful relationships between families and schools? What needs to change about the school structures which could ensure deep relationships based in respect, trust, and listening? When we consider our current relationships with families, do they move beyond superficial? What can administrators and teachers learn from reflections on current relationships and interactions with families?

    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi sarah!

    Yes, drop off and pick-up is a good time for face-to-face interaction with families. I believe it is important to take the time, to stop and talk to families everyday:) When I worked in the classroom, I always made an effort to say hello, good-morning and good-bye to the families and children. Yes, I agree people do feel appreciated with a simple gesture like that:) Although, teachers also need to find additional ways to collaborate and build relationships with families, besides during the morning and afternoon.

    Family participation and coming into the classrooms seems to be very difficult for many. This is partly due to time, stress, work, family, or other commitments. Yes, sending home family-child activities is a good idea:) In your center, what kinda of results do you guys get with these activities? Do you find the families-children enjoy it? Do parents share comments or stories with the teachers?

    ~suzanne~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sarah:
    So true in the greetings to families. I also believe it helps create smiles for everyone and give a sense of belonging.
    I know how hard it is for family participation. Where I work most of the grandparents drop off and pick up or if parents drop off, they are in such a rush that they just sign their child in and rush out the door. I've tried numerous activities and ideas and the one that best works for us to give heads up on what's happening in the class on a weekly basis is by posting posters with children's pictures of what we do. I also put a smaller version into their scrapbooks so they can reflect on the entire year. As a parent living in Mililani and working in the Kahala area, I don't even step foot into my son's preschool. My mom does the drop off and pick up and so I am clueless on what goes on. The only thing I depend on are newsletter, memo's parent meetings at night, what my son tells me he does and what my mom tells me. So having family invovement is tough for me and I know exactly what my families in the class are going through.
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes I wish that there was some form of transportation to take my daughter to school because the drive is kind of long but I also like going into her classroom and seeing what kind of things they are doing. Her teachers are very friendly and I always feel welcomed going in. They share stories with me about funny things that she has done in the day and I like knowing that they enjoy having her there.
    I agree on the importance of family involvement and I can see how it could be difficult to have them be involved. It is one thing to say that it is important to have them involved but it is another thing to be actually able to get them involved. It is great that you were able to find a way in which parents could be involved on their own time.

    ReplyDelete