Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Technology and the classroom have open many opportunities. Taking this class online, which is a first for me, has opened up my eyes to all new possibilities. It has now open opportunities for people that can’t take classes physically to attain degrees. Even though I am on Oahu, classes online let me have some insight to other preschools around this state.

The major point I really enjoyed in our book was from Chapter 4. I liked the idea of having an administration’s manual (Decker, et al. 2005). I took over the director position and I remembered my first year was totally just surviving. If I had an administration’s manual or an outline of the previous year it would have made my life so much easier. It’s funny to think how extensive the family and employee handbooks are but no administration’s manual. Even if I were to continue the next year, it would still be nice to see what we did the year before and how we can improve each year.

I really enjoyed the chapter on questioning evaluation quality in Early Childhood. I think uses those Children’s questions (Podmore) would make an impact on our evaluation. Our program has put a lot of emphasis on the families’ evaluation at the end of the year but I think I should also include an in-depth self-evaluation from the staff. We make goal at the beginning of the year and we review them throughout but I think there would be a bigger impact if we had a self-evaluation, especially using the child’s questions.

“I am convinced, we can develop the capacities required to ‘reinvent the future’ by creating ‘a new horizon of possibilities’ for children’s services” (Sumsion). This is a great quote. I feel that childcare needs more advocacies on the political side. We have gotten a lot of advocacy in the community and families are starting to see the importance of childcare. The reason we don’t have advocacy on the political level is because childcare is not a huge business that we can afford to have lobbyist working for our cause. I feel like the only time childcare is mentioned on the political level is to cut funding and/or closing services. Recently, I just received the letter that they will be cutting the preschool development screening and the early intervention center in Wahiawa. How can the children in our community get a head when they are cutting all of our programs? These programs that they are cutting will benefit the children in our community the most!

4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your blog. I'm also a director and understand the desire for a book or manual for this position.
    I was able to take the Castle Colleague class for directors. It was wonderful! If you are at all able to attend it's well worth the time. I believe I had to write an essay. The course is about a semester long.
    I was also upset that they cut the preschool development screening program. There are some alternative screenings...you should get the letter soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah,
    Sumison's quote pushes us to think about the possibilities of what early childhood could look like and how it could be central to societal change. You mention at the beginning of the blog about how you desired an administrator's handbook. I wonder if the handbook would have a limitation to seeing what Sumison suggests in her quote. Should administrators fall into the pattern of "this is how it was always done" instead of being open to the change that might give voice to the children of a center or community?

    If administrators and teachers really considered the questions shared in the Quality chapter, what might have to be disrupted in current school settings?

    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you Sarah, in regards to recognition of preschools. When there are budget cuts, their is recognition. How rude! Don't they know that everything stems from early childhood! These people really should do more research and realize what they are doing to these children! I'm really upset that the state developmental screening unit shut down. We use them for referrals as well and need to look for other resources for our preschool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sarah,
    It is interesting that there is no handbook for administrators, maybe its figured that because one is an administrator they should have the experiences to know it all already and create their own form of a handbook. I do feel that it is important to be creative and expand your experiences- kind like creating your own rules. Because just as teachers have to do when it comes to new students, by changing their strategies and curriculum to better fit the students they currently have I also think that administrators have to have the same considerations. Whats might have worked for one group of students may not always work for the next.

    ReplyDelete